Holding Hands photo
About Sara Kammerzell
Couples Counsellor & Relationship Therapist
Put simply, my passion in life is people. I am ever intrigued and inspired by the precious and unique journey of each unfolding person—galvanizing that movement is my raison d’être.
I bring a Masters degree in counselling psychology, 20 years of experience, and advanced studies in relationships, recovery, trauma, and transpersonal psychology.
I am an ardent lover of living one’s deepest truth. Understanding relationships, in all their forms, is one of humanity’s greatest teachers.
German poet Rilke captures the essence of my work beautifully in his work titled Enduring Love:
For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult task of all…the work for which all other work is but preparation. It is a high inducement to the individual to ripen…a great exacting claim upon us, something that chooses us out and calls us to vast things…
Relationship Therapist for Individuals and Couples Counsellor
My Relationship Journey:
I arrived in adulthood desperate for someone to care about me and help me feel safe. The need to bond was urgent but not yet wise, and it goes without saying that disowned parts of myself popped up right in front of me in the form of my partners!
In my 20s, I began to spot my unhealthy patterns and undertook a rigorous course of therapy, which helped me land in my own skin and begin to value myself. I swore off the “bad boys” and cultivated my own wild nature through climbing, white water paddling, and cycle touring.
Shopping at Mountain Equipment Co-op, I met the amazing man I spent 23 years cultivating a beautiful, rich, and adventurous love with. We were extraordinary companions and teachers for each other, traveling the world, earning our advanced degrees, and were a social hub wherever we went.
My late 40s began a new inward chapter, as spirit depths began to call. I walked the Camino, (an 800km Pilgrimage in Spain) and those thousands of steps set me on a new path, which felt “truer” than anything I’d ever experienced.
These experiences also eventually led to an impasse in my partnership. We came to understand that parting would allow our most authentic expression. We undertook a rending but beautiful “Conscious Uncoupling” process, which allowed us to end our relationship with honour.
My ex re-partnered and is living his big dream and sailing around the world. Whenever I’m near the sea, I sing a blessing for him out over the water.
Currently, I am deeply immersed in manifesting my life motto: Live True. Love Deep.
One day I will date, as I would love to write this last chapter, called “Contribute,” with a spirited man.
My Gifts as a Counsellor
You will be inspired and encouraged by my ability to:
- Hold both you and your partner in high regard. I do not take sides, and instead compassionately confront the behaviors that undermine your bond with one another. By doing this, I help your relationship grow and mature into a partnership where you become each other’s allies in healing.
- Uncover the underlying dynamics of your relationship in order to heal each of your individual core issues that are causing the pain between the two of you. Once our work reveals the root cause of your problems, we can work precisely to solve them.
- Bring bottomless support and coaching for you and your partner as you engage in new skills and enter challenging emotional landscapes—you may never have received the degree of warmth and encouragement that I offer, and it can provide an emotionally corrective experience for any deficits you may have experienced in childhood.
- Draw on the many therapy modalities I’ve studied in order to offer you creative and tailored responses to your unique situation—this flexibility in approach ensures that your learning style is met.
- Bring my laser perception to help you and your partner address and heal unresolved family of origin issues that are getting in the way of having a fulfilling relationship.
Areas of Expertise:
Discernment Counselling Certification: When one partner is not clear on their commitment I use a special process to help determine the level of relationship commitment so that we can decide the best path in going forward.
Conscious Uncoupling: Not only have I taken this course, I’ve LIVED the process and I’m intimately equipped to take you through it if you come to understand that your time together is over.
Sex Therapist – Firing Your Deep Erotic: Learn how to cultivate your arousal and that of your partner so that the flame of your sensuality burns throughout your partnership. Unwind any past history that might be interfering with open and pleasurable sexual expression, which is your birthright!
Certified Trauma Therapist from The Justice Institute of BC)
Family Constellation work: allows for the release of trans generational trauma and trauma from childhood which is impacting both you and your partner
Advanced EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) Training
EMDR is one of the most researched methods of therapy that is shown to help people heal from past challenging or traumatic events. Relationship troubles are often created or exacerbated by one or both partner’s past experiences. Until you heal as an individual, it can be difficult for your relationship to improve.
Recovery and Relapse Prevention: Substances and Processes
I am your sobriety ally as you experience emotional freedom and stay present to yourself, others, and your life. Recovery takes a tribe: Don’t set yourself up for failure by “going it alone”.
Learn your triggers – the neurobiology of craving, engage in emotional sobriety practices to have better control over your emotions and heal the underlying issues which lead to the compulsive behaviour so you can have a better relationship.
Formal Counsellor Credentials
- Masters Degree in Counselling Psychology (M. Ed). 1998. McGill University
- Bachelor of Psychology (Joint Major: Psychology and Women’s Studies). 1996. Simon Fraser University
Specialized Relationship & Couples Therapy Training
- The Developmental Model of Couples Therapy (The Couple’s Institute)
- Certified Advanced Clinician: Imago Relationship Therapy
- Real Life Institute Level 2 (Terry Real)
- Satir Family Systems Training
- Certified Intimacy Education Counsellor
- Completed the Guelph University Sex Therapy Intensive Training Program
Counselling Association Memberships
- Registered Clinical Counsellor #1942 (BC Association of Clinical Counselling)
- Canadian Certified Counsellor #7896 (Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association)
- Imago International Relationship Institute
If you are ready to do love well to develop a fulfilling relationship, please contact us and we will book your first therapy appointment.